Here’s a question from a reader
In my previous role, i need to use Slack on a daily basis, hence i had it installed on my Windows laptop, and automatically open up when I start my machine. In my current project assignment, i seldom use Slack, but i might need it from time to time; hence decided to keep it installed.That said, would prefer to have the application open up only as needed and don’t automatically start up when i launch Windows. Can you please let me know how I can stop the application from launching at the start-up?
Thanks for your question. In this short post, we’ll show you how to turn off Slack from automatically start up in Windows. We’ll look into two different ways to do that: from the operating system and from the Slack app itself. Just FYI – We also have a similar tutorial for Webex and Zoom.
Disable Slack auto-start in Windows 10:
- Click the Start button
- Hit the Settings button.
- Click on the Apps option from the Settings window.
- Among the options from the right-side panel, click on Startup.
- You’ll see a list of all programs installed in your Desktop. Scroll to search for Slack and turn the switch off to disable Slack from auto starting.
Disable auto startup from Slack
- Open the Slack application.
- Click on the Menu option found in the top left corner.
- Hover on the File menu, and select Preferences (or) Press Ctrl + Comma key.
- Click on the Advanced option under the preferences.
- Scroll down to the bottom to find the checkbox named, Launch app on login.
- Uncheck the option to disable the Slack application to launch at the start-up.