Here’s a note we got from Bryan:
I have a Windows computer which i use for work. I typically use Microsoft Teams, but i have a good customer that uses Zoom, so i have downloaded the software to my computer. As i seldom use Zoom, i prefer that it won’t run in the background, which will require me to invoke it manually as needed for usage with my client. I guess my question is whether i can turn Zoom off by default so it it will not pop up when i start up my Windows based laptop.
Hey, thanks for the question. There are probably two options for accomplishing your need.
Turn off Zoom auto start on Windows
- Open the Zoom application
- In the Home tab, hit the Settings cog (at your right hand side).
- Then navigate to the General tab.
- Then go ahead and uncheck the option named Start Zoom when starting Windows.
Alternatively, you can can use the Task Manager to delete Zoom from your Windows startup:
- From your Windows 10 task bar, hit the magnifying glass.
- Type Task Manager and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Startup tab.
- Scroll down to the end of the list, if available, highlight the Zoom entry.
- Do a right click and select Disable.
- Close the Task Manager.
I have observed that Zoom has a tendency to stay on, after i exit the application. If so, you might want to exit Zoom from the system tray.
- In the Windows task bar, hit the System tray upward facing arrow that open the System tray.
- Next right click the Zoom icon.
- Select Exit.
- Zoom will be shutdown, so you can open it up once need for your customer interactions.
Hoefully it helped, feel free to leave a comment in case of follow up questions.