Here’s a note we got from Bryan:
I have a Windows computer which i use for work. I typically use Microsoft Teams, but i have a good customer that uses Zoom, so i have downloaded the software to my computer. As i seldom use Zoom, i prefer that it won’t run in the background. I am 100% fine invoking it manually when needed for my client meetings. So my question is whether i can turn Zoom off by default so it it will not pop up when i start up my Windows based laptop.
Hey, thanks for the question. In this short post, we will look into two simple options to stop Zoom from starting up when you turn on your Windows personal computer.
Turn off Zoom auto start on Windows
- First off, go ahead and open the Zoom desktop application
- In the Home tab, hit the Settings cog (at your right hand side).
- Then navigate to the General tab.
- Then go ahead and uncheck the option named Start Zoom when starting Windows as shown below:
Alternatively, you can can use the Task Manager to delete Zoom from your Windows startup:
- From your Windows 10 task bar, hit the Start button.
- Type Task Manager and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Startup tab.
- Scroll down towards the end of the list, and highlight the Zoom Meetings entry.
- Now make a right click and select Disable.
- Close the Task Manager.
Exit Zoom Meetings for the current session
The procedure detailed above prevents Zoom from running on startup, but now you might want to shutdown Zoom in your current Windows session. If so, you might want to exit Zoom from the system tray.
- In the Windows Task Bar, hit the System tray upward facing arrow.
- This will open the Windows System tray.
- Next right click the Zoom icon.
- Select Exit.
- Zoom will now shutdown for the current session. Remember that you can open it up as needed for your customer interactions using the Windows Start Menu.
Hopefully it helped, feel free to leave a comment in case of follow up questions.