Here’s a note we got from our reader, Diana:
I am using Microsoft Word 2016 to author a report. My question is whether i can set my header and footer to appear only in the first page only?
Here’s our answer:
To have Header and Footer appearing only in the First Page:
First, we’ll define the header and footer:
- Open Word 2016, type the contents in your document.
- Click Insert, select Header and click on anyone type of Headers.
- Type your content in the given space for your Header.
- Click Insert again, select Footer and click on anyone type of Footers.
- Type your content in the given space for Footer.
- Click Design in the ribbon and select Close Header and Footer.
- Now, move the cursor to the end of page one and click on it.
- Click Layouts, select Break and click Next page in the drop down box.
- Double click on the Header in page two and deselect Link to previous in the Design ribbon.
- Delete the Header contents in page two.
- Double click on the footer in page two and deselect Link to previous in the Design ribbon.
- Delete the footer contents in page two. Do the same as needed for other pages in your document.
- Now your header (and footer) text appears only in your first page.
Suggested next steps