Last update: March 2018
Applicable: Outlook 2019,2016,2013; Windows and MAC OSX
If you ever used Microsoft Office Outlook as your e-mail client in your personal computer, you might have noticed some delay in your inbox refresh. Typically, it takes your incoming mail a bit more time to arrive compared to when using web email services such as Yahoo, Gmail andOutlook.com. Those typically auto update your inbox entries whenever new email hits your account.
In this tutorial, I’ll show you the way to make your Outlook inbox to refresh automatically in shorter intervals so your inbox stays always up-to-date.
Here’s the steps you should take to get Outlook inbox to automatically refresh:
- Open the Outlook 2016, Click on the Send/Receive button.
- Click on Send/Receive Groups drop down box and Select Define Send/Receive Groups.
- In All Accounts, Click on Schedule an Automatic Send/Receive every.
- Change the Minutes value from 30 to a smaller number. Note that setting this value to less than 5 min might lead to duplicated entries in your inbox.
Special Bonus: Download
the Free PDF version of our Outlook 2016 Tips and Tricks guide.
- After changing Close the Dialog box.
- Now the Inbox in Outlook Automatically Refresh every 10 Minutes.
Increasing Outlook inbox refresh rate
It is possible to set the refresh rate interval of your inbox.
- In the Send/Receive Groups dialog (steps to open it explained before), go to “Setting for group All Accounts“
- And then set the Schedule an automatic.. value to the required refresh rate. Beware the fact that too frequent updates could lead to dup entries.
Auto-updating the Outlook calendar
To ensure your calendar is always up to date, proceed as following:
- Under Send/Receive Groups, hit the Edit button.
- Then in the left hand side, ensure that your email account is marked.
- Then under Folder Options ensure that your Calendar folder is marked.
- Hit Apply.
Auto-update the Outlook global address / contact lists
- Same us in the section above, just ensure that the Contacts folder is marked for auto sync.
- To refresh the Inbox Immediately Press F9.
- We can also go to Send/Receive and Click on Send/Receive All Folders, Which will Refresh Mailboxes.
Your Next steps
- If you are still using an outdated version of Office; you might want to take a look at Office 365. Subscribing to Office 365 allows us to use the most updated Office version on up to 5 computers + up to 1 TB of storage per user. Sign up for Office 365 here.
- Got a related question ? See our quick guide on how to get your tech questions answered.