Last update: September 2018
Applicable: Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 365; Windows and MAC OSX
Here’s a question we got from a reader:
Unlike my Gmail account, it looks that Microsoft Outlook 2016 folders are not automatically updated with incoming email messages. Looks to me that the new email items are updated probably once in 15-20 minutes. My question to you is how can i possibly make Outlook to automatically update its Inbox folder more often, if possible as often as Gmail does. Thanks!
If you ever used Microsoft Office Outlook as your PC e-mail client, you might have noticed some delay in your inbox refresh. Typically, it takes your incoming mail a bit more time to arrive when compared to web email services such as Yahoo Mail, GMail and Outlook.com. Those typically auto update your inbox folder entries whenever new email hits your mailbox.
In today’s tutorial, I’ll show you how to make your Outlook inbox refresh automatically in shorter intervals so it always stays up to date.
Here are the steps you should take to set your Outlook inbox to auto-update on Windows computers:
- Open Outlook, and hit the Send/Receive button.
- Click on Send/Receive Groups drop down box and Select Define Send/Receive Groups.
- Under All Accounts, Click on Schedule an Automatic Send/Receive every.
- Change the Minutes value from 30 to a smaller number. Note that setting this value to less than 5 min might lead to duplicated entries in your inbox.
Special Bonus: Download
the Free PDF version of our Outlook 2016 Tips and Tricks guide.
- After changing Close the Dialog box.
- Now your Outlook inbox will automatically refresh every 10 minutes.
Increasing the refresh rate of all your Inboxes
- In the Send/Receive Groups dialog (steps to open it explained beforehand), go to “Setting for group All Accounts“
- And then set the Schedule an automatic.. value to the required refresh rate. Again – beware the fact that too frequent updates could lead to duplicated Outlook email entries.
Auto-updating the Outlook calendar
To ensure your Outlook calendar is always up to date, proceed as following:
- In the Send/Receive Groups dialog, hit the Edit button.
- Then in the left hand side, ensure that your email account is marked.
- Then under Folder Options ensure that your Calendar folder is marked.
- Hit Apply.
Auto-update you Outlook global address / contact lists
- Same as in the section above, just ensure that the Contacts folder is marked for auto sync.
Note: You can always trigger an update of your email folder by hitting F9.
Your Next steps