Here’s a note that we got from a reader:
Hello! The information technology department at my employer has started to roll out the Teams application to improve communication through the last few months in which we started to work from home. Long story short, started to use it and it’s quite cool, but i guess i have two questions: First question: It seems to me that i can’t get rid of messages in Teams,is it even possible to permanently delete messages in the Chats section? And the second is: how can i un-send or recall messages i sent to others?
Hey Thanks for your questions, we are also working quite a bit with Teams, and it’s great we can answer some questions here.
In our answer i would assume you use the Desktop version on Windows, although the process is not majorly different for Teams on macOS, Android or iOS.
Let’s get started with your first query.
Remove chat messages and conversations
You are able to delete messages that you have sent to other people as part of a Microsoft Teams conversation.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open Teams
- In the left hands side App Bar, hit Chats.
- Now go ahead and navigate to the relevant conversation. Note that you can use the command bar at the top of your page to easily find your chat conversation.
- Find the message that you want to remove.
- When you place your mouse and hover on the message you’ll notice the … button. Go ahead and hit it.
- Then select Delete.
- Teams will display the following message: This message has been deleted.
- Next to that, you’ll notice the Undo link, which you can use to easily recall your message deletion (which i believe answers your second query).
Remove a message from a Channel
There might be cases in which you might have posted a message in a wrong channel, and you might want to simply remove it from the Posts tab.
Here’s how to do it:
- From the left hand side App Bar, navigate to the Teams tab.
- Select your Team and proceed to the Channel.
- Go to the Posts tab
- Hover to your Message.
- Hit the … (3-dots) button.
- Select Delete.
- That’s it
Deleting a complete chat History permanently
At this point, there is no possibility to remove a complete thread in the chat history. We’ll update this post as soon as soon as the feature will be incorporated to the product (hopefully soon.)
Hiding a Teams conversation
There are cases in which all you might want to do is to hide a private chat from your list of conversation threads. That’s also pretty straightforward:
- Open your Chats section.
- Navigate to the relevant conversation you might want to hide.
- No hit the 3-dot button(…)
- Then pick the Hide option.
- You conversation will disappear from the list of visible chats.
Note: Reverting the process we just covered is also quite simple, just proceed as explained earlier in this section, and select the UnHide command instead.