Here’s a question from Marla:
I have imported a table from Excel. When i bring it up in Power BI , dates are displayed in long form when i actually need the traditional mm/dd/yyyy format – basically get rid of the time values.
Transform Date/Time to short dates in Power BI
Proceed as following to change your datetime column format to date formats such as mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yy:
- Open Your Power BI desktop report.
- From the Data pane at your right hand side pick your Date column in long format.
- Then right from the Ribbon, modify the the Data type from Date/time to Date.
- Then, adjust the format as needed to Short Date or other more specific formats such ad dd/mm/yyyy or others.
Before converting to Short Dates:
After converting to Short Dates:
Split Date / time values in Power BI
To extract the time values into a new column, proceed as following:
- In Power BI Desktop Data Panel select your table.
- Hit the New Column button.
- Then use the following DAX statement to extract your time values from your date/times.
Time only = FORMAT('Dates Tutorial Text'[Date],"hh:mm")
- This will create a new column named Time Only in your table showing your time values in hh:mm (hour and minutes) format.