Here’s a question from Richard:
I have started using Microsoft Teams recently as it was necessary to collaborate with my team members on my new project. I see that the Teams starts automatically every time I turn on my machine. I only require the application to start when I need it and need interested on having Teams restart automatically. Bottom line: I do not find any options to disable the Teams application. Can you kindly let me know the way to disable the Teams application so it goes away and doesn’t get re-started?
Thanks for your question. Kindly go through the post below, as we will discuss various ways to disable Microsoft Teams to start automatically during your Windows PC start-up.
Disable Teams from Task Manager
- Open Task Manager in the system. (Press Ctrl+Shift+ESC keys)
- Select the tab, Start-up
- Select Microsoft Teams and click on the Disable button at the bottom of the panel.
Disable from Teams settings:
- Open Microsoft Teams and click on the profile picture icon, and select Settings.
- In the General tab, uncheck the Auto-start application under the application header.
Turn off Teams from the Registry:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Manipulating the registry poses risk to your operating system and should be executed only by skilled Information Technology consultants who will backup your system registry before making any modification. Kindly don’t pursue this step on your own.
We can remove the registry created for the Microsoft Teams application if the issue is still not resolved. Please go through the steps to remove it.
- Open the Run dialog box by either searching it from the Start or Press Windows+R.
- Type Regedit and click OK.
- Click Yes on “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”.
- Go to the path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- Select the Microsoft Teams registry entry, and press the Delete button to remove it.