Updated: February 2019
Couple of days ago , we got the following question:
I found online several guides that explain how to setup GMail into Microsoft Outlook on Windows 7 and 10. None of them were targeted at MAC. I just bought a Macbook air with the High Sierra operating system installed, and need some configuration help for GMail for Outlook. Specifically i am looking for the pop or IMAP settings that I’ll need to use in order to connect to the GMail account from the MAC.
Thanks for the question. As many things in Apple land, setting up GMail is relatively a breeze. Read on for the complete details, details for MAC OSX versions prior to High Sierra are similar. The procedure is equally valid for Office 365, as well as the standard Office 2016 and 2019 packages.
Configuring Gmail settings on Outlook 2019 for MAC
Note: If this is the first time you are setting up email in your MAC, you’ll initially be prompted to select an email provider, be it Exchange, ICloud, Yahoo or GMail. After making your selection skip to step 5 below.
Kindly proceed as following:
- Open Microsoft Outlook for MAC.
- From your header, go ahead and hit on the Outlook menu item.
- Hit on Preferences.
- Under Personal Settings select Accounts. (Alternatively hit Tools and then Accounts).
- Hit the + button in the bottom-left side of the dialog and select New Account or if prompted, hit the Add email account button.
- Enter your GMail address. If there is no matching account, you’ll be prompted and asked to manually pick the email provider.
- Hit Next.
- Enter your Google password and hit Next. Hit the Forgot password in order to recover it.
- Now, hit the Sign in to Google button.
- Your browser will open and the following screen will appear.
- Hit Allow to access and modify your Google information, manage your Drive files, contacts and calendar.
- In the Launch Application dialog, hit Open Link.
- GMail will get automatically configured in Outlook. Depending of your internet connection and mailbox size, the process will take up to 5 minutes to complete.
- Hit Done
- Your GMail inbox will be setup in Outlook and visible in the left hand pane.
- Your configuration settings are available under Tools >> Accounts.
Additional Settings for Gmail on Outlook
Once you added Outlook you could make some basic configurations to personalize your account.
Define your signature
One of the first things i do when setting up an Outlook account is to personalize my outgoing email signature. Here’s a detailed walk through with the steps.
Cancel email notifications
Annoyed from incoming email notifications, here’s a guide on how to disable desktop alerts on Windows and MAC.
Enjoy your MAC 🙂