Applicable to: Microsoft Office 365, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010; on Windows and MAC operating systems (with minor adaptations).
Here’s a question from one of your readers:
I wanted to include title, information and copyright information text to some pictures which I’ll be adding to presentation and a document that i am currently working on. Could you propose simple way to define image captions on Microsoft Word and PowerPoint applications?
Thanks for your question. In this tutorial we would like to answer your specific question as well as provide more comprehensive info about inserting captions into any graphics (jpg,bmp,png files, mp4, wmv etc’) that you’ll use in the different Microsoft Office applications.
Insert caption to images in PowerPoint slides
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Navigate to your presentation and open it.
- Go to the specific slide in which you want to add your image and caption.
- Hit the Insert tab and then hit Photo Album so you can pick your photo/image.
- Click Insert picture from: option to select the file.
- Click Picture layout and then select Picture with title option.
- Under picture options click on Captions below all pictures to display picture with text.
- Finally, go ahead and hit the Create button.
Adding Caption pictures in Word documents
- Open Microsoft Word, and navigate to your document.
- Add your own pic to the document by hitting Insert and then selecting Picture.
- Now go ahead and select your Image from your hard drive. Note that you are able to select your image from One Drive, Dropbox and any other cloud drive.
- Hit Insert.
- To add text to the image right click on the image and then click Insert Caption.
- Type your text in the caption box.
- Optionally, specify your label and the position of the caption relative to the image itself in the document. The default position is below your selected image.
- Note the usage of AutoCaptions in order to streamline the caption creation and definition process.
- When done, hit the OK button.
Making photo captions in Excel spreadsheets
- Open Microsoft Excel and navigate to your spreadsheet.
- To add image click Insert option and then click Picture.
- Select your Image.
- To add text to the image click the Insert tab and then hit Text box.
- Place the pointer in the required place on the image and then type your text.