Capturing user input using drop down menus in your Excel spreadsheet can be leveraged as a very powerful data validation technique. In today’s tutorial we’ll take you through the process of creating the drop down menu, validating user input and showing an error message if a invalid data is entered. Read further for the procedure.
To create a drop down menu in your Excel worksheet:
- Open your Excel spreadsheet, then select the cell where drop down menu has to be inserted.
- Now, click on Data in the ribbon and select Data validation in the data tools menu.
- Click on the Allow drop down menu and select List.
- In the source, enter the values which has to be displayed in the cell drop down menu.
- We can also enter the values for the source by click on the icon right to source and select the cells with different data’s.
- Click OK to insert a drop down menu.
- To insert a input message when the drop down menu cell is clicked, click on Input Messages in the data validation dialog box.
- Make sure the “Show input message …” box is checked on.
- Then, enter your user dialog title and the information in the space provided and select OK.
Displaying Error Messages:
- To show a error message when an invalid data is entered in the drop down menu cell, click on Error Message in the data validation dialog box.
- Make sure the “Show error alert …” box is checked on.
- Now enter the title and the error message respectively to be displayed if an invalid data has been entered.
- Also we can insert the style symbol with the error message like Stop, warning, information symbols.
You are all set. Thanks for reading