Here’s a question from Dorothy:
Hello guys, couple months ago i have been asked to install Zoom Meetings in order to join some online training. As my workplace uses Webex for online collaboration, as well as Slack for team communication, i would like to see if there is an option for me to disable Zoom from auto starting whenever i turn on my macbook.
Turning off Zoom Meetings on macOS
Thanks for the question. Yes, disabling Zoom autostart is possible and quite easy. We’ll cobver two ways which you can use to accomplish that.
The easy way: Using the macOS dock
- Login into your macbook.
- Ensure that Zoom meetings application is turned on.
- Go to your desktop. In the application dock (which by default is on the lower part of your desktop), right click the Zoom icon
- Then select the Option entry and uncheck Open at Login
- This will prevent Zoom from automatically launching when you turn on your macbook.
- At this point, you can close the zoom app.
More elaborated: Using the macOS System preferences
An alternative (although more elaborated and less recommended) way is to set the Users & Group auto-login items as needed. This process assumes that you have permission in macOS to carry out admin tasks for your user.
- Hit the Apple icon on your upper task bar.
- Hit System Preferences.
- In the System Preferences dialog, hit Users & Groups.
- On the left hand side, pick your user.
- Then hit the Login Items button.
- Highlight the ZoomOpener item in your list.
- At the bottom of the dialog hit the minus(-) sign.
- Close the Users & Groups dialog.
Turning on Zoom on startup
If you start using Zoom more often, you can easily ensure it starts automatically when you turn on your computer. The easiest way to resume Zoom auto-launching is to use the first option outlined above, just ensuring to check the Open at Login entry.
Finally, if you want to take your Zoom usage to the next level, feel free to look into our best Zoom tips and trick guide.