We usually forget to capitalize when needed. Word often automatically changes the first letter of a sentence into uppercase by default. But what if we want to convert the entire sentence or cell contents to uppercase? In this post we will learn about changing sentence contents to upper cases in Office 2016 applications. Similar procedures work on versions 2010 and 2013.
Change lower case to upper case in Excel 2016
Using a formula
The easiest way to change from small to capital letters in Excel is by using the UPPER formula.
Its syntax is UPPER (text); so in case that for example cell A1 has your lower case text, you could convert it to upper text in cell B1, by assigning the following formula content to B1:
Same can be done using a VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macro.
Using Flash fill
In Excel, we can change a sentence’s case by using Flash fill option.We will discuss procedure using an example.
- Select the cells to which the words case has to be changed.
- To change the words to upper case, in C3 cell type the same word with upper case.
- Now, click on Data in the ribbon and select Flash fill in the Data tools to make other words with upper cases.
- To make a word in Proper case, in C3 cell type the same word with capitalizing first letter.
- Again click on Flash fill in the data ribbon to change the word to proper case.
Convert sentences to upper case in Word 2016
- Open your Word document and select the sentence in which the sentence has to be changed to Upper case.
- Now press Shift+F3 key once to capitalize each word in the selected sentence.
- Press the key twice to change the whole sentence with upper case.
- In your Word document, select the sentence and click on Change case drop box in the Home ribbon.
- Select Sentence case to capitalize the first letter of a word in the sentence.
- Select lower case to change the whole sentence with lower case.
- Select Upper case to change the whole sentence with upper case.
- Select Capitalize each word to capitalize each word in the selected sentence.
- Select tOGGLE cASE to change the lower case to upper case and vice versa.
Recommended next steps
- First off, If you are running Office 2013 or older, you might want to upgrade to Office 365. Microsoft is offering a nice deal that includes the most up-to-date version of the Office applications + 1TB of storage per user starting $69/year. Sign up for Office 365 here.
- Got a related question? Look into our guide on how to get your questions answered.