Here’s a question from Georgia:
I need to create a bar chart in which i would like to show metrics for two different series. For some reason i am not able to insert and additional y axis to my bar chart. Any ideas on how to go about showing a plot that has two y axis? Cheers 🙂
Add a secondary y axis to your Excel chart
Create example data
In this example we’ll use a very simple dataset to create a combo graph that includes both a bar and a line chart, each on a different axis. Some process can be used for other chart types such as scatter (XY), histograms, bubbles etc’. Below is that dataset that i used – feel free to copy into your Excel spreadsheet and follow along:
Create the combo chart with two axis
In a nutshell – the trick here is to use a less known chart type – the Combo chart. Here’s astep by step procedure:
- In your Excel worksheet , select your data (including its headers). Use the shortcut CTRL + Shift + down arrow to select your entire column contents
- From the Excel menu bar, hit Insert.
- Then, from the Charts section of the Ribbon, select hit the Insert Combo chart icon, as shown below.
- Next, go ahead and select Create custom Combo chart.
- The Insert Chart dialog will open.
- In the bottom part of the dialog select the chart type for your second series (in our case – named Margin) and then mark the secondary axis check box.
- Hit OK.
- The new combo chart with secondary axis will be inserted into the worksheet.
- Consider providing a meaningful name to your chart.
- Add text labels to your chart as needed.
- Here’s our nice chart – enjoy 🙂
In case of comments or follow up questions, feel free to leave us a comment.