Last updated: February 2019
Tutorial applicability: Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013; Office 365 and Standard; Windows operating systems.
Here’s a question i got the other day from one reader, who was looking for the settings to connect Yahoo to Outlook 365 / 2019:
“I am a long time user of Microsoft Outlook for managing my business email. As i do own an account at Yahoo Mail , i thought of asking you guys whether you could provide a guide to help me configure Outlook to read my Yahoo email. Can Yahoo be used on Outlook? If so, how can i connect them? Thanks :-)”
Sure. In this post we’ll explain the required settings that you can use to configure Microsoft Outlook to easily access your Yahoo mailbox. We’ll use version 2016 for simplicity, but the content is relevant also if you decided to upgrade to Office 2019 / 365.
Note that this tutorial is not only relevant for the .com Yahoo Mail but also to Yahoo.co.uk and other regional sites.
the step-by-step guide that will show you how to setup Yahoo Mail and Gmail on MS Outlook in less than 10 minutes.
Configuring Outlook for Yahoo Mail access
- Start by opening Outlook , then hit File in the task bar and select Add Account.
- Click on the Manual setup or additional server type and select Next.
- In Choose service, select POP or IMAP and click Next.
- Enter Name and Email address in the given blank space.
- In the Server information, set Account Settings as IMAP.
- Next is to input the Yahoo mail server settings. Under Incoming Mail Server set: imap.mail.yahoo.com.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) set: Type smtp.mail.yahoo.com .
- Next, enter your Yahoo Account password in the Logon Information section.
- Go to the Outgoing Server tab and check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box and select use same settings as my incoming mail ser
- Now go ahead, and hit More Settings … select Advanced.
- Enter 993 in Incoming server (IMAP) and select SSL/TLS in Encrypted connection.
- Enter 465 in outgoing server (SMTP) and select SSL/TLS in Encrypted connection.
- Now hit OK and select Next in the Add Account dialog box.
- At this point Outlook will test out your account to ensure your configuration is valid the the account was added. If for some reason it doesn’t, all you’ll need to do to manually trigger the verification process is hit the Test Account settings button.
- Congrats! you have added your Yahoo account in Outlook.
Yahoo Mail Outlook settings
The screenshots below summarizes the most up-to-date recommended configuration settings for YMail on Outlook 365/2019/2016:
POP and IMAP:
Adding GMail to Outlook 2019/2016
If you need to configure GMail for Outlook 2016/ 2019 we definitely recommend that you’ll look into our tutorial on the suggested Gmail configuration settings for Outlook 2016.