How to hide your Facebook friends?

I received an email from Jojo asking the following question:

I have lots of friends on Facebook. The thing is that i am not really interested in showing off those friends to the world. Is there a way to hide Facebook friends?

Thanks for Asking Jojo. It is possible to restrict access to your friends list on Facebook and even to hide it completely. Below you can find the steps for hiding your friends list following the new profile privacy settings deployed by Facebook on December 2009:

• Go to your Facebook profile
  • In the upper right hand side of your Friends section of your profile page, you will notice a small pencil icon – Hit it.
  • Uncheck the box that reads "Show my friends list". – and that's it – Your Facebook friends will not show up in your profile any more.

You might want to know that once you migrate your profile to the Facebook privacy settings your Friend List is always visible to your Friends. I am currently tying to find out whether hiding the friends list from certain people (or certain networks) on Facebook is still possible. Seems not. Guys, any feedback/insight from those who are on the new Privacy settings?

Filed Under: Facebook Tips

RSSComments (58)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kelly says:

My boyfriend is NEVER on Facebook and has not friended anyone in two years, including me. I could always see his profile, mutual friends, friends, wall etc…. Until last week when I noticed I can see his wall and mutual friends but not friends in general. I asked him about this and he had no clue how this happened. Is there a way this setting could have taken effect for a non-active user?

2. Green Gator says:

I followed these steps, but there is no box that says “show my friends list”. Has the facebook format change since this was written? Anyone know how you can hide your friends list now?

3. watun says:

I want to hide my self in mutual friends list.Is this possible in Facebook . I don’t want some one to know that i am mutual friend .For example I m friend with X and I don’t want Y to know that I am friend with X.I hide my friend list but I can’t hide in mutual friend list .
    Is there any way please .

4. sarsi says:

i tried clicking the pencil icon but it doesn’t show the “show my friends list” instead it shows the featured people under edit profile. if there is another way on hiding friends please reply here as soon as possible. thank you.

5. Chaya says:

there is NO box that says ” show my friends list” i want to hide my friends on FB so knowone can see them. and there is no such box found.. did FB take off the option, so now everyone can see our friends and there is no privacy? I want to hide my friends, how can i do that?

6. Karrie says:

Go to profile page. Upper right corner box with pencil- click it. On the very left of that page click privacy settings. Connecting on Facebook at the top of the page, click on view settings. Find- See your friends list and customize to only me.

7. Yolaunda says:

1:Choose the “Privacy Settings” option in the Account drop-down menu at the top of any Facebook page.
    2. Select “View settings” in the “Connecting on Facebook” section.
    3. Change the setting for “See your friend list.”

8. zafrin says:

there is no box..”show my friend list”.but i want to hide my facebook friends.please help me as far as possible.